- Build level and excavate land surfaces using graders and other construction equipment.
- Dig trenches and backfills.
- Gather and load dirt, collect and haul trash, garbage, debris, dirt, sand and gravel from job sites onto trucks; transport to appropriate location.
- Distribute materials on site using equipment.
- Perform preventive maintenance on equipment as required.
- Notify Tool Crib and arrange for scheduled equipment service.
- Assist team members with various job related tasks when not operating equipment.
- May operate plow and salt truck for snow and ice removal, may act as a primary snow team member operating snow blowers and snow plows with brooms and or blades.
- Maintain accurate logs and records.
- Ensure adherence to safe work practices and procedures; maintain effective communications with team.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Operate heavy power-driven equipment
- Perform a variety of skilled construction and maintenance tasks
- Read and interpret maps, sketches, drawings, specifications and technical manuals
- Perform a variety of manual tasks for extended periods in unfavorable weather conditions
- Work independently in the absence of supervision
- Understand and follow oral and written instructions
- Traffic laws, ordinances, and rules involved in heavy equipment operations
- Occupational hazards and standard safety practices
- High school diploma or GED plus six (6) years of heavy equipment operation and heavy equipment maintenance experience.
- Possession of a valid Maryland Commercial Driver's License (CDL-A) of the appropriate class.
Candidate must have experience operating a backhoe and digging for concrete footings. The ability to dig foundations, operating a skid loader, mini ex, track hoe, and track loader is preferred. Candidates must also be able to read construction plans and accurately operate a laser. Must also be able to work with the team off the equipment as necessary. Class B or Class A driver's license a plus. Knowledge or experience with concrete footings/walls also a plus.