Carpenter - General Contracts
- Measure and mark cutting lines on materials, using ruler, pencil, chalk, and marking gauge.
- Follow established safety rules and regulations and maintain a safe and clean environment.
- Shape or cut materials to specified measurements, using hand tools, machines, or power saw.
- Study specifications in blueprints, sketches or building plans to prepare project layout and determine dimensions and materials required.
- Assemble and fasten materials to make framework or props, using hand tools and wood screws, nails, dowel pins, or glue.
- Build or repair cabinets, doors, frameworks, floors, and other wooden fixtures used in buildings, using woodworking machines, carpenter's hand tools, and power tools.
- Erect scaffolding and ladders for assembling structures above ground level.
- Remove damaged or defective parts or sections of structures and repair or replace, using hand tools.
- Install structures and fixtures, such as windows, frames, floorings, and trim, or hardware, using carpenter's hand and power tools.
- Finish surfaces of woodwork or wallboard in houses and buildings, using paint, hand tools, and paneling.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of commercial, residential construction and remodeling trades, practices, procedures, techniques, tools and equipment, materials, specifications, quality control, cost control, and safety.
- Proficient at the following tasks: stain-grade trim work, hang doors, drill and set door hardware, set windows, layout for stairs and common rafters, read blueprints, utilize appropriate math skills.
- Able to read blueprints.
- Mathematical skills and analytical skills necessary to do material estimates.
- High school graduate or GED
- 3-5 years experience